Custom glass shelving can be an elegance touch to a room or space. First of all, the material (glass) looks exquisite in its natural state and can help enhance the overall size of the room. It can be transparent, translucent, or made to be opaque although the first two will give the best presentations. The use of glass can help magnify the brilliance of an area, an object or even the item made of that same material – in this cases the shelf.
When it comes to adding a unique décor touch using glass shelves, then opting for custom pieces is the best option. Below are a few choices regarding what elements in the custom glass shelves you can consider:
- Tinted Glass – While working with the conventional clear glass still gives an alluring presentation, you can go for a more modern feel using tinted glass. The tint options range from the light kind to those that are dense and come in an array of color options. The tinting can also be done in different ways, such as staining, to give the glass a dramatic look.
- Etching And Pictures – The addition of pictures or engraving to custom glass shelves is often ideal for those installed at a low height where their top surface is visible. It also is possible to have pictures etched into the front or the sides of the shelf depending on the thickness of the glass. For some, it is possible to have personalized glass shelves that have a family photo or picture of choice sandwiched between to pieces of glass.
- Lighting – Shelving with lighting can create different illuminations. The light can be in different colors and designed to pass through the glass making it have a delightful glow thanks to the magnifying effect of the material. You can create more artistic effects by places items that reflect the light such as crystal figurines, silver-toned framed pictures, or shiny vases that will add to the overall magnified effects of the lighting.
- Mirrors – Adding mirrors above, under, or behind the glass shelving, can have a magnifying effect. The effect can even be more dramatic if the shelf has lights. For an inset custom shelf, the mirroring helps add depth to the overall look. Adding a bold frame around the inset shelving can make it appear similar to a picture.
- Shape, Size, And Cuts – Glass can be cut into any shape or size, and this opens doors to different design possibilities. For instance, install a glass shelving with beveled edges and a geometrical look for the bathroom or an oval shelf with flat sides for an open wall in the bedroom, ideally next to a wall mirror. The diversity of options availed by the different cuts, shapes, and sizes make it possible to choose from an array of formal, modern, and even futuristic styles of glass shelves.
- Accents – If done right, especially with the mirroring, glass shelves can dramatically magnify the distinctive features of other items and materials. As such, you can place a decorative metal edge or one of wood on the front of the shelf as well as the sides to achieve the desired effect.
Why Consider Custom Glass Shelves?
Any of the above choices can be a great addition that services as an accent for practically any room in the home. They go to show that you do not have to work with a material (glass) that makes for an invisible installation in the room. And you do not have to worry about considering the use of this brittle material for shelving.
Today’s technology avails some amazingly robust glass, toughened to be scratch resistant and less prone to breaking. If you are still unconvinced, below are five reasons to consider using glass shelving.
- Glass is a versatile material when it comes to construction; it helps introduced a modern or futuristic look in the presentation of items and the décor of a room.
- The material s transparent, it allows light through and can be tweaked to be translucent or opaque depending on the desired effect. As such, the material can add a unique flair to a room and be used to enhance the appearance of items placed on the shelf. Moreover, you have seemingly unlimited styling options when it comes to custom glass shelving.
- The material is not weighty, and with the installation done using light materials such as aluminum alloy brackets, the overall fixture is a light but sturdy setup with a beautiful presentation.
- The overall presentation of glass supersedes that of wooden shelves and is a close contender to the metallic shelving. However, when it comes to costs, then opting for glass can be a cheaper option that will offer an exquisitely chic finish compared to the use of the expensive metals such as titanium, silver, or gold.
- With the availability of strengthened glass, it is possible to have sturdy shelves that hold different things such as books, trinkets, vases, figurines, among other items.